This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Friday 14 December 2012

The shining points lighten by mates


My fellow classmates' experiences had inspired me a lot during my teaching practice, I was amazed by their brilliant strategies in teaching and caring moments with their students.  We may not facing the same problems and challenges, but I could understand how it feels. Sharing opinion can always impact different sparkles just like one plus one sometimes are greater than two. 


After I have read all the posts, I could tell that the most attractive method from fellow classmates to me is they put to use ' drawing' activity in teaching ( like pei pei, Alia and Yasmin did) . They asked students to analyze different characters' characteristic  and solve different problems by drawing mind-map. Alia asked students choose one superhero and analyze the characteristic of the superhero by drawing a mind-map on a mahjong paper. Combine with her pre activity I could feel her lesson plan must be very systematic so the flow of her class was very smooth. Yasmin guided students to design a perfume in a chemist position for the characters in story. I must say how interesting the activity is and how creative the outcomes are from  those talented students. Drawing mind-map stimulates the students' interests and during the process, students were encouraged to interact with each other. Group presentation helps to improve students speaking skill and from their presentation teacher could estimates how much they have understand from the text. These creative outcomes make students feel more satisfied about their hard-working, so it for sure increase students' interests on English learning and students will be more focus on class. Another strategy which leave a deep impression on me is outdoor activity( like Nisa and Bunmi did) . They conduct an activity outside the classroom, the place could be on the playground, under the tree or any place which has enough space for students to complete the task. I think most of the students rarely go out of the class to have English lesson. So outdoor activity attracts students attention and it makes them feel more relax to enjoy the class. So I believe the teachers must be good on time management and class management. I didn't choose to use these methods because I found these activities were not really suit for my class based on the different situation and having different students. Knowing what is students need and interests is very necessary, it not only helps teacher to deliver the knowledge easily it also makes students understand that teacher was trying to stand in their position to guide them to learn with pleasure.

When I read the experiences from Sophie ( Zhao Xunyu),actually I didn't feel that surprise because as a classmate and friend of her for almost 4 years, I know her style is ' small size with strong power'. She did not feel hesitating to get to know students' feeling towards her and when students gave feedback to her, she really cares and did put effort to change the negative part. I can clearly feel she got along with her students with sincereness and passion. Sometimes when students made mistakes and did not perform well in discipline, Sophie would just point it out with effective and persuasive words to try to made students understand. Students are all sensitive about their performance in teachers' eyes and they do care how the attitude is from teacher to them. When some emergency happened, her calmness and quick-witted reaction helped her did a good job. Sometimes when we share experience in chatting, I would ask myself if I was facing that situation, will I be able to say something and do something like she did?  Sophie use her passion and sincere heart to break the wall between her and her students. From her experience I learned that ' How do you treat students, the students will do the same to you.' 

I strongly agree games would  be the most popular part for students in English learning. Like 'Tongue twister', ' crossword', ' puzzles' and ' idioms' which some peers have used in teaching are really effective. I made my English name into a 'whisper game' at the beginning of my teaching period to light their interest on my class , at the same time I aimed to remind them focus on pronunciation and tense. I didn't expect I could get a strong response afterwards. Sometimes they call me ' Miss Panda' instead of ' Miss Amanda'. lol  Interesting and meaningful games could always be the trump cards for teacher in teaching. 

Fellow classmates brilliant methods and interesting lessons enlarge my views. Inspiration always comes from learning process. Thank you all. :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment