This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Thursday 30 August 2012

I Know I Can Do This..

After we had our practicum briefing on the 29th August, all of us included me, Ieza, Sophie and Ma Fei decided to go to the school the day after. All of us got posted at SMK Bukit Bandaraya, Bangsar. It is the place where we will be teaching and confronting different types of students behavior for the next 3 months.

I promised the girls to meet them at 8am in front of the school gate but you know what? I overslept and only woke up when Ieza called me at 8am >.< It never happened to me before and I was frantic but I did showered that morning.. hehe (p/s: please sleep early and always have enough rest and get everything prepared the night before you go to school. I have learnt my lesson)

We arrived at the school around 8.50 in the morning. At first, we weren't warmly welcome by one of the teachers but later, I found out that she is friendly. It's just that her style is like that and she is the discipline teacher. She welcomed us and wish us good luck as she's leaving to Singapore at noon. See? sometimes, first impression doesn't mean anything. 

We waited until 9.30am because the students and the teachers are having National Day Celebration. We managed to meet the principal, Pn. Nooraini and have a talk with her. All of us introduced ourselves and reported duty to her as well. She did gave us some advises on how to tackle and handle the students. Then, she asked one of the teachers, Cik Atikah to arrange our place at the staff room. I'll be with Sophie and Ieza with Ma Fei. It is easy in that way because we believe that we'll be assisting each other and to have a better communication, not just among us but might as well with all the teachers and students. Later on, the principal assigned the CC (Chief Clerk) to show us around the school compound. I would say that it is a beautiful school. The school compound wasn't hilly but as usual, each block have 4 floors. Just like in our faculty.

As we walk around, I noticed that some students are staring at us, curiously and anxiously. Some of them were nice and they are greeting us warmly. 

After that, we spent 30 minutes in the staff room and getting ourselves familiarize with the teachers and our desk while waiting for the Administration Senior Assistant, Pn. Siti Sarimah to come back from her meeting outside. We had a talk with one of the mentor, Miss Ranee and other teachers as well. The senior teachers were teasing us and they are so happening. The staff room are noisy with their voices but I think it is a good thing :).

We met Pn. Siti and she assigned us our classes. I was assigned to teach Form 1 Jujur and 2 Jujur. I got 2 classes. I was told that students proficient in English for both classes are above average. That is making me more nervous. We got our schedule right away with the help of Pn. Umi. I got no class on Thursday but I was reminded that I might be given duty to relief some classes and help out with some admin stuffs. 

Until now, I could not put my heart at ease because I have no idea what types of students I'll be facing, can I have a good classroom control?, will the students listens well to me? how can I tackle their hearts to make my practicum period memorable for me and for the students?.. all of these questions keeps playing on my mind and I do have one thing that bother me the most, my physical appearance!!.. I try not to think about it but I am afraid that the students use it to hold and push me down. Whatever it is, I'll not let my physical appearance affect my self-confidence and be the reason for the students to step over me. I'll give it my best try regardless of what circumstances waits before me. 

Besides that, the principal told us that she will introduce us to the whole school during an assembly this coming Monday. I was terrified thinking what expression should I give? Be serious? or Big Smile? on my face. I am afraid but I realized that I have to go through this, no other options and what I can do is I will try my best. I'll do my best and give everything I can for this upcoming 3 months.

I am sorry that my post is a bit lengthy but somehow, it put my heart at ease to let my comrades know about my feeling and knowing that we'll be supporting and helping each other all the way long.

I Know I Can Do This and We All Can Do This. Believe in Yourself and ALL THE BEST.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah... first impression lies most of the time...hahaha.. I know you would do great Tirah !!! Best of luck Comrades !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks a lot mates.. we got this.. we'll definitely can do it.. Good Luck.

      Delete
  2. baby...u did it very well....i'm the witness.....:) let's wish for the best in the next following days......go go ...

    ReplyDelete