This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Monday 15 October 2012

6 weeks already?!



I always thought I'd feel nothing but happy and relieved when the teaching practice is coming to an end, but when at one point it really approaches, it's hard to believe I'd feel a bit upset when I have not many classes to teach.

Our Assunta school started its PMR from last week, which emptied all our classes for a whole week except for Friday. As I mentioned, my 2A3 class had 6 chapters left when I was assigned to them and literally I had only 5 weeks to teach, I found it hardly possible to stick to what the teacher told me to do, after discusses with her, I planned my classes for 2A3 based on the themes and topics provided by the textbook with my own ideas and activities, which at the same point brought along problems: I had to compress two themes in one double period class for several times, and the students would be bored and feeling lost when they faced different contents. For this issue, what I tried to do was to design different activities to each content I intended to cover, I'd put the easier and more simple task at the beginning of class, which took around 25 minutes, then for the one I wanted to address more, I would give them group activities once I finished discussing and explaining. Finally in last Friday class, I managed to finish all the syllabus for my 2A3 class. 

Another problem I had with my 2A3 class came when I was doing revision of literature component with them, as they'd be examined based on 2 poems and 1 novel, after I finished the revision of the novel The Boscomeb Valley Mystery and the poem I Wonder with them, some of them started complaining that I was treating them as Form 1 students and they said I didn't actually have to do revision of another poem Heir Conditioning, so I decided to give them a test based on the 2 poems the week after, and when I looked through their papers, only a very few of them managed to answer some of the questions on the poem Heir Conditioning which they believed unnecessary to review, while almost all of them provided right answers for most of the questions in I Wonder. I'm going to return their papers on this coming Thursday, and before I discuss the paper with them, I'd spend around 5 minutes talking about their 'arrogance' on their studies. Or you might have some better ways dealing with this kind of issue?

As for my 2A1 class, the only problem is we don't have much time left, as I enjoy teaching and learning with them, they are all extremely active and cooperate in every single class. 

That's all from me for reflection due Week 6. All the best to all my friends, enjoy the rest of our teaching practice. 

God bless us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment