This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Friday 12 October 2012

Week 6 already!


Hello friends! We meet again. It is already the 6th week of our practicum. Even though some may think that the time is short, I personally have learnt a lot from these six weeks. In retrospect, I am done with all my observations and I must say, each one had room for improvements.  Dr. Dorothy came to observe me twice and she told me she was happy with what I did with my students. As for another two observations done by my mentors from the school itself, they provided constructive feedback about my teachings and I sincerely appreciate every comment from them. Experienced teachers definitely know more than me. Then Alia and I had to be observed again but due to time constraint, we were told to record our lesson and submit it so that Dr. Adelina can review it. I hope my video looks alright. All shot by camera tripod and yours truly. I seriously need a cameraman next time.

This is already the month of October and the students are having their examinations. Form 3 students are sitting for their PMR, Form 4 students are sitting for their final year examination and the Form 5 students will be sitting for their SPM soon. Hence, I am generally quite free this month other than helping out other teachers with some clerical work and keying in students’ co-curriculum marks. Currently, I am also helping Madam Martita to produce a video about the teachers in the school. Even though some may see these as trivial matters but to me, every little thing I do in that school matters to me. I believe they help to pave my teaching life for me apart from learning them as life lessons.

Personally, I believe the next practicum session should be conducted during the beginning of school year as it will provide more experiences and activities for teachers-in-training. As for me, I do learn a lot even when I was invigilating exam classes. For example, students have to behave themselves when they are sitting for their exam. Thank God students in Assunta do not have any disciplinary problems so this makes my life easier in the school. At least this makes me feel more belonged in the school and students are generally easier to control.

Ah well. Here’s to another month of teaching practice! *cheers* Brave it my dear friends for we will cherish this memory for years and years to come.    


Warmest Regards,
Winnie Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment