This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Sunday 7 October 2012

SMJK KATHOLIK, Petaling Jaya. Feelings and perceptions.

First day of teaching. Nothing much to do.

From what I observed, the students here are cheeky and naughty. And I have not been assigned teach. But form what I heard, I will be teaching form 2 and form 1. For now I am free. Not knowing what to do. Blur.

Four of us, Muniroh, Shobana, Elina and me myself spent our time in the staff room. I  got to know my mentor. Madam Hardeep Kaur. Later in the afternoon, I've been assigned to teach 4 classes. For my first method, I got to teach form 2A4. This class was Mdm. Hardeep's class. She told me I should be prepared because this class is not only cheeky and playful, but they have a quite good command in the language.

 And so, I've been told to finish the syllabus, as the examination is just around the corner. Probably 3 weeks starting from this week. What do i feel? I feel nervous. I went to see the school's admin, to ask for the literature form 2 textbook, just to get ready for my classes. And I got to know that I will have to teach 1 drama and 1 short story, Rumplestiltskin and One is one and All Alone by Nicholas Fisk. Been thinking back  home on how to teach this 'high proficient' language students. I thought I wanted to apply all those students centered stuffs and all, but to be honest, I don't know how to teach and what to expect. Hopefully it's gonna be a good class. praying that they will be good and listen to what I said.

Got my teaching schedule later that afternoon too. I've found out that I gotta teach form 1 too. I got to teach all three classes. This one, I might face language problems as well because form what I heard the students usually use Mandarin and English to communicate. And this might cause problems for to teach Pendidikan Moral. Moral is being taught at schools using Bahasa Malaysia. I really hope that I can teach them using the language, but some of the teachers told me that I can use both English and Bahasa Malaysia for my teaching for Moral. A sense of relief.

Overall, I just can't picture myself teaching. happy and nervous at the same time. Happy for now beacuse, I will be teaching! Yayyy! Nervous for not knowing what's ahead of me.

Gabriel Ambang
SMJK Katholik (Catholic High, Petaling Jaya)

No comments:

Post a Comment