This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Keep the flow, ignite the glow..

Hello there Comrades,
How are you all doing, I hope all of you are doing fine and great.. Well, for me, nothing much happened as my form 1 and form 2 students will sit for their end-year exam starting today until 24th Oct.. 

I couldn't believed that we are in our 7th week of teaching practice.. time flies really fast.. I am well aware that the end is approaching but I am not sure if I'm really happy with it.. Sometimes, I feel sad to leave the students because they have been part of me all these days..

For the past 3 weeks, I have been teaching as usual, not much problems as I am preparing my students with their final exams.. I had a talk with them and asked them which area that they need my help the most and I figured out ways and strategies to help them. For instance, they are having problems in elaborating their main points in essay writing, so what I did was, I gave them Graphic Organizer and asked them to write their main points and reasons. Then, they wrote an essay by referring to their Graphic Organizer, I would say it is effective as they know how to give supports and evidences to the main points. Meanwhile, for literature, I did a lot of exercises on Section B and novel such as the plot, characters, themes, moral values and etc. What I did was I let the students to get involved in the activities physically. I gave them a lot of visually reinforcement and let them discuss, moves around and tell me the answer before they write it in a book. The students loves it and I think they learned and remember better.

One thing that I noticed when I'm teaching is that, my students are capable to get their tasks done but still, they need me to assist them. For example, when doing summary or essay, they tend to have a draft or they will come and see me before they write a real one in the book. They seems to have less confidence about their works and worried a lot if they got it wrong and their marks will be deducted. So, I approach them individually and checked on their works. Usually, they will make mistakes and I will correct it and explain to them why they got it wrong. I often reminding them that just think smart, study well, pay attention in lesson and they will all ready to go for the exam. 

Besides, thank God that I have finished all my observations by my supervisor and mentor. I know that I have tried my best, and there is no regret for whatever results I will get because I know that I have given everything I got and it's not that I am not trying or giving my best.

I think I will pen off here for this 3rd reflection. Just hang in there comrades and enjoy the rest of our time in the school before the end. 

I am nervous for my students but I really hope they will be able to do their best in the year-end exam especially in English

Have a look at these photos and ENJOY :)




I draw the plot graph, let them write the elements in the space provided and each group have to paste the paper (sequence of events) into their correct elements. 

I gave them gifts before their end-year exam with hopes that they will be more motivated and do well in their exam. 

1 comment:

  1. You are definitely an excellent educator. Have been following your posts very closely and I enjoyed reading your stories.

    The students must be so happy to have a teacher like you. You managed to give them fun learning which most of the students want but not many teachers are able to do it.

    Not only you are observant of your students, you tried your best to tackle to their preferences without compromising the syllabus and teaching principles. Am definitely proud of you!

    ReplyDelete