This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Friday 23 November 2012

Details determine success or failure

Greeting to all!

I apologize for my super late post. It seems I got " jet lag"...

Form 4 students had started their final exam since week 4 and which has last for almost 4 weeks. So I would like to share more details in first 3 weeks teaching in Katholic High school first.  

As  my teaching time were 'ruthlessly' shorten by Form 4 final exam, PMR and SPM. I got very little time to teach. I must  teach them more knowledge in a limited time. Everyday I was thinking how to deliver knowledge to students in an interesting and effective way. Due to they had already done with all lessons on syllabus, I was told by my mentor that I 'm free to teach with any relevant and useful lesson plans.  My mentor's permission made my teaching plan became more flexible. 

In last reflection I mentioned that I used learning style test which I got from a workshop named blended learning to test my students what are their learning style. What surprised me that most of them are kinesthetic which means they are interested in activity and prefer to do it personally to understand what they have learnt. And I finally understand why most of them seemed not that active when they need to come in front of the class to conduct an activity individually. They are just too shy to do it alone in front of the people. As they are just not used to this kind of learning style. So sometimes I made group work instead of individual work. 3-4 students in a group to do an presentation, they could easily express their opinion one by one and do the brainstorm to inspire themselves. In personality adjectives activity, I asked several groups which include two students for each to come in front and write down their classification of positive personality and negative personality. Other than that, scrabble game according to description in pre-reading made students enjoyed to came up the right answer with group discussion. I could feel that they  prefer to fight in front of the class for different ideas rather than do the activity alone. They became more and more confident when they complete the task in front of the class. 

In first few weeks, 4S4 class needs to conduct an oral test which will count in their final marks. I got the chance to observe their presentation, but I noticed that some of them are not well-prepared and their expression about the points were not that clear. Later on I aimed to provided more speaking activity for them. Even though some of their expressions are not that logical, their English proficiency are quite high, so it is not hard to make them talk. Except the speech according to different character and presentation on different topic ( which I mentioned in last reflection) students have tired, I also ask students to do the debate in class. Before I guide them to the topic, I would always share my own stories and experiences or relevant information to catch their attention, then I asked them to share their own opinion. ( E.g. I would share my travelling story and what I have seen in Korea in my last holiday before I give them the topic ' Should plastic surgery encouraged or not?' ) I divided the class into two big groups. Each round during debate need one students to come in front to present. Students were enjoying the debate on interesting topic, as long as their points are conceivable, I would always give praise and encouragement. Most of the students are Chinese, so sometimes when they are too excited to express their opinion, mandarin will blurt out of their mouth. During the activity, most of my comment is " Excuse me, English! " lol  

There was another detail I found that every Wednesday is the day of club activity. Most of the students will join some different clubs like Kungfu, sports and scout etc. So every Wednesday they are extremely exhausted. My classes were in the last few periods, then every Wednesday I have to face their tired look and lower cooperation. I have been used different things to cheer them up. Playing video clip to catch their attention, using group or individual activity to keep them away from motionless in case of falling asleep. Students' reactions on class  are easily affect teachers' emotion and spirit. In fact that cheer them up is to cheer up myself.  Sometimes in class 4S1, the boys are too energetic and noisy, then I will provide some interesting reading comprehension like stories, social issues to make them be quite for a while. Most of the time, they could really focus on reading. 

Final exam was coming at that time, so all of them were under pressure, even they have finish all the lessons, they still have a lot of homework and exercise to do. I found sometimes some students doing other subjects on my class. At the beginning I just approach them and remind them silently because I don't want to make them embarrassing and I thought it works. But they think I 'm not strict and serious by using 'soft warning'. When I found this problem became worse I was angry, one day before class finished, I gave a warning in front of the class." If anyone doing other things on English class again,  you only can get your stuff after the exam. I am serious, so don't test me." This time, it works.  In writing class, I usually ask them to finish writing task on class and pass them up after the class. Some students seemed not that serious and they feel lazy to do it. So I told them, if anyone doesn't pass up the writing piece, his/her pebel mark will deducted.Then everyone passed up on time. I understood that sometimes  'threatening' is very necessary. 

I have been always told that I need to raise my voice as my voice was so soft and low. Especially my supervisor emphasized this problem when she gave me the feedback. I tired my best to raise my voice in the class later on. I even consider to practice shouting to make my voice louder. Sometimes I was moving around or stand in the middle of the classroom to make sure everyone can hear my voice. After observation, I was told that my lesson plan was quite systematic, but I still need to work on the class management like voice intonation, call the name directly instead of approach them and call unintentionally, ask students be ready for the class by giving clear and strict requirement. Details, details, it is all about details which we can not neglect in teaching. I listed down  all the main points that I need to work on. When I prepared the lesson plan, I would also have a look at the tips, so I was able to remind myself do not do the same mistakes again. All I need to do is learn from mistake, improve from experience. 

Many a little makes a mickle,  many details make big changes. 

PS. Start from Week 4, my major work is doing invigilation. To be honest, as a students for more than 15 years, you must do invigilation for even once in lifetime. I really enjoyed doing invigilation, feel so good. I do not feel bored at all.  lol 





No comments:

Post a Comment