This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Wednesday 7 November 2012

Fourth reflection


Personally the 2 posts I think I could learn from would be from Gabriel and Syazwan .

Firstly, the one from Gabriel: But they were really good in writing. They use words like prerequisite, punitive and a lot more that I did not expect in my teaching practice, what more from the form 2 students. They are good. But they also have some grammatical problems, just a little bit here and there. And yeah, they understood what I taught in the class. 

Though we are in different schools, I share the same feeling with gabriel. Both of my 2A1 and 2A3 class have revealed that they didn't quite like writing, but when they were assigned with some topics to write, most of them would come up with the ideas and sentences you could hardly expect from Form 2 students! I actually had some doubt when the form teacher said "the girls like to write things long and they don't know how to stop" as I asked about students' writing proficiency at the beginning, later when I gave them a writing task under the topic of Helping the less unfortunate people , I was literally stunned by their work, though they did make mistakes on spelling and some grammars, the content and the sentences were just beautiful. Meanwhile I was shocked when I found 2 pieces of work which were almost alike, one of them copied, I didn't want to embarrass them so I left a note on both of their composition books and asked them to see me.

Another post that greatly attracted me when i was scanning the other posts was the one from Syazwan: my lecturer and mentor told me that I am a soft spoken person and therefore the boys could easily lost their focus and if my voice is not loud enough I may face difficulties in controlling the class. I was worried about my method and my voice. I feared that they might not understand what I am going to teach them and the worst problem is they can’t hear me. I don’t like to scream. So, every time I walk into the classroom, I’ll ask all the boys to sit in front and let the back seats empty. Some of them even have to share tables.

I've been always told by people around me that I have to raise my voice when I speak, so this time when I first went to SMK Assunta and had my ice-breaking activities with the students, I tried to talk as normal as I can and after the first class, I asked the form teacher about her comments, she said I should raise my voice a bit higher as she was sitting at the back of the classroom, so from then on, I was actually shouting instead of speaking, I tried my best to make my voice higher without hurting my throat much. I didn't try to have them all sited in the front as the girls would tend to talk when they were put together, but I was moving around in the classroom so that the students can hear me from any direction.


Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. We both got inspired from them. Though I viewed their experiences slightly different, I understand why do you think their stories amazed you.

    This teaching practice definitely serves as a platform for us to improve ourselves. I myself have improved in certain aspects especially my content delivery.

    And I am feeling glad to be reading your stories. May everything go well for you :)

    ReplyDelete