This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Wednesday 7 November 2012

Don't be afraid, let's be friends

Hi everyone, how are you? :)

Sorry for the late post as i have some difficulties to log in to this blog earlier. Before i proceed, i would like to thank Fahrul for his guidance. If not because of him, i don't think i will manage to post anything here anymore. Thank you so much, my friend.

Well, this post is to cover up for the third reflection. As for the third reflection, actually i can say that i don't have much trouble or problem in my school, Catholic High School. Their discipline are very good except for some students. Actually, i heard that all the students in that school have to attend an interview before they are accepted in the school. And one more important thing is that they must at least achieve 7 As in their UPSR or must have one outstanding talent in order to be accepted in that school. Great right?? My problems are almost solve with all the naughty students as we are getting closer now a days. They didn't change completely but i can feel as if something is bringing closer. I'm not sure what is it? I can feel that we are more like friends to each other but there are still some boundaries between us. One problem that still remain the same is the problem with the boy named Tan. I've tried many ways to overcome this problem. I even try to talk to his former teacher which is also my mentor, his classmates and even to himself. Perhaps i am new there, but still i didn't see anything wrong with him. Maybe he looks a little weird but that's it. We can't judge a book by its cover. I still remember the day when i confront with my mentor to ask about his matter, i can still remember the look at her face. The only thing she told me is "You don't have to know lar". That's all and cut of conversation. Same goes with his classmates. They doesn't want to tell me anything about him. So, i made a decision not to ask anything about him anymore. But i tried to pay more attention to him in class. But still all the other students are envy with him and they make fun of him by calling him a dog. I really don't understand anything about this and i am really confused with this situation.

My first observation by my supervisor is over and i got a good comment as she told me that my class control is good and my voice is loud enough to control the class. It's a relieved for me. However, she told me to pay more attention to the groups of boys that are quite noisy in class which is also the same 7 boys that i've talked about earlier in the last reflection. I am still trying to conquer them.

The group of naughty boys a.k.a Jurassic Park

Girls group a.k.a The Chillax Group

This girl group is the best as they are so supportive and keep on helping me to deal with all the Jurassic Park gang. 

As for my moral class, everything is going on just fine for me. They are giving their concentration  and co-operation whenever i ask them to do group work or present in front of the class. In fact, they really enjoy it. They are so cool. I admit that at first they too does not like group works and so on. They think that i am too fierce to them but now, everything change. They are no longer afraid of me. This is good as i want them to respect me not to be afraid of me. I think i succeed in this area. Yeah!!


2B1 Moral class - Project of harmony country

2B1 Moral class - Minister of the harmony country

2B1 Moral class - War country


I can't manage to snap more pictures as the school actually have strict rules regarding these. So, this is the last class that i taught before the exam. The students are sitting for their year end exam this week. This means that, there are no any teaching and learning process will take place for quite some time. They are nervous and anxious, so do i. I am not sure why am i feeling like this but perhaps because they are my students, so i feel their stress as well. Just hope that they will do well in their finals.

That's all for now. Adios :)

2 comments:

  1. Being friends with the students has always been the best way to win the students' hearts. However, we always have to bear in mind to still keep and watch over the boundaries of a teacher and students. Glad that you had such meaningful experiences.

    May the friendships blossomed are kept alive :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I encountered the same problem as you too, Shoby. The students were very naughty & talkative and they're not keen to learn during English lessons. I agreed that by befriending your students it would change their behaviour & attitude towards learning. As they felt closer to you, they would feel free to express themselves to you. Once you know your students, I believe it would be easier for you to tackle them. Well done, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete