This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Friday 16 November 2012

How comrades motivate one another

Having read my fellow classmates' reflections, all very inspiring, all very meaningful, I'd just like to share how Fahrul's journey caught my utmost attention. He stated that his problems were his form 4 students had difficulties in writing essays and also his Form 2 class had a little too much of sugar for the day. Knowing Fahrul, he can be very stern yet loving too, therefore he tried to overcome these problems in his own ways. He took the initiative to teach them to create an effective mind-map, so that the students would generate more ideas in writing their essays. As a result, his students were able to write better essays with more elaborations, thanks to the mind-map that they created. Fahrul also took the time to get to know the students, as they even confided him with their worries and problems. I am sure most of the students felt as if they had a 'big brother' who cares for them. Thus, they are now willing to cooperate and produce better work for Fahrul. As for his form 2 class, he took their energy and spirit to an advantage where he made them act, sing and write creative song lyrics! (I could totally imagine how those kids performed 'I recycle and I know it' to the beat of LMFAO, cheeky monsters!) Not only that, Fahrul mentioned the students from other classes who came to talk to him looking for advice. To me, that's a true quality of a teacher.

Besides that, I've also got an eye for Fahmi's journey as he sailed through the ever-challenging waves of students from Bukit Bintang Boys School. Being a big, tall and fierce-looking guy like Fahmi, I'm sure he'd have no problems with the boys there. But the problems he faced was the lack of proficiency, too active, noisy and was not cooperative in his class. I felt inspired by his post mainly because it reminded me of my own situation where I too, had to take charge of students from the lowest class. I'm positive that Fahmi had so many brilliant ideas and teaching aids for his lessons (just like I did), but due to low proficiency of the students, he had to opt for the traditional teaching styles. I personally believe that the bunch of students that you teach have the power to determine whether your lessons will work out the way you plan them to. For example, when I was given the chance to teach Form 4 students who could converse very well in English, my mentor told me my overall performance was much better than when she observed me with my 2 Dalton class. Therefore, in Fahmi's case of teaching his students, games, pictures or flash cards are some of the ways he tried to catch their attention. It's the spirit and his 'don't give up attitude that I truly admire and look up to. There were times when I felt like I wanted to give up too, but I kept on thinking about how my other classmates are coping and that gave me the motivation to stay strong.

I am certain that all of us have done our very best for our teaching practicum, and I am very proud of everyone each time I read a post in this blog. We all have different methods in handling our students, and with that comes all the different stories I am reading! Lastly, practicum is over so happy holidays everyone. Take care and much love :)

Nurul Hanisah

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. You're not the only one who is inspired by Fahmi and Fahrul's posts/journey. Im glad you learned from reading their posts too..

    ReplyDelete