This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Tuesday 13 November 2012

Encourage and Be Proud of Students ( Third Reflection)



Encourage and Be Proud of Students( Third Reflection)

Hello friends! I would like to apologize for my late posting. Sorry, everyone! This is my third reflection. Oh my god, time files, this is 7th week in our teaching practicum, I am sure I will be sad when the last day is coming.

Form 2 Cekal class: I must have to say, I love my 2 Cekal class. Their English proficiency level is good. In my second reflection, I mentioned about they loved to speak and talk during class. But they are not willing to write an essay. As a teacher, I have to force them to write an essay although they don’t like it. Considering that problem, I planned lots of speaking activities for them, writing tasks are as punishments for them. My supervisor Madam Shanina came to observe my 2 Cekal class once. I prepared literature “heir conditioning”. First of all, I asked students to look at the pictures to indentify which pictures are belonged to past and present. Moving on, I distributed worksheets to students to compare the things we used in past and present based on the poem “heir conditioning”. While stage, I focused on themes. Post stage, I asked students to do the puzzle word games. After observing me, my supervisor said “you are a hardworking girl, I can see you prepare a lot for your lesson today, you are better than your first observation, but there are still rooms to improve, for example: your class is quite good and able to manage easily, their English proficiency level is good, you need to share more experience with students, ask them to talk more and speak more.” 

In addition, my mentor observed me one time in 2 Cekal, I prepared literature “Rumpelstilskin” in class. First of all, I picked some dialogues from drama, then I asked students to show emotions such as anger, joy and happy based on the worksheet they got. Furthermore, I distributed worksheet to them to draw the portrait of the character they were assigned by teacher. Also Athirah and I planned a drama role play for Rumpelstilskin in 2 Cekal and 2 Jujur. We guide students how to act it out, how to use facial expression and body language when they are acting. Students enjoy a lot. I am so proud by every student.



Form 4 Maju class: as I mentioned in my second reflection, students in 4 Maju class were not active. Now it is 7th week already, they are still not active, but it becomes a bit of better than previous. Due to they are not energetic, so the only way I have to catch their attention is doing fun activities. Such as: after they are finishing their exam, I prepared English tongue-twister for them. During class, I asked students to work in groups; they have to read the tongue twister clearly and quickly. The best groups would get the reward from me. Actually, it works. As a teacher, I tried to use a “reward and punishment” to stimulate their interest. Furthermore, I planned some interesting pictures to let them see how many hidden face they can see based on the picture given. Anyway, they like to do fun activities.

There is one thing in 4 Maju class, I was totally shocked by them. In 2nd week of teaching practicum, I informed the whole class they would have an oral-test later. The marks would count in their SPM results. So I asked them to pay attention in their oral-test. I even asked them to practice their oral-test during my class sometimes. Every time, I asked them how is it going by their practicing? They all said ok…then I trust them...Now I know I should never trust them. Because...When the day the form teacher Puan Nik came to 4 Maju class to listen their oral-test and give marks for them. OMG…they even have not prepared anything. I called each group to present their oral-test in front of the class. They directly had a discussion in a very last minute. Some groups they were absent, I told them earlier, the day they must come...They still absent...Some students can’t speak one complete sentence. Puan Nik was so angry, she scolded them and questioned them “have they practice before??Students even replied back “YES”…       Puan Nik told them if they want to this way, it would be fine by her...she said that’s the only mark they would get. For students who were absent, they will not get any marks for their oral-test.

After class, they came to see me. Because they want to get another chance to do their oral-test. I discussed with Puan Nik, she said “NO”. I told students they learnt a big lesson if they have not prepare.

Then, for the following weeks, I have been teaching as usual and preparing g my students with their final exams...Form 4 has their exam. I will monitor them when they are having their exam. Furthermore, me and Sophie are helping school to key in marks and assist graduation day in form 5.

Warmest Regards
Ma FeiHui




1 comment:

  1. OMG...never trust them...UNLESS you have evidences of what you want to believe.

    ReplyDelete