This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Thursday 8 November 2012

Reflection 4: Inspiring Colleagues

I can see that each and everyone of us has our own colourful teaching odyssey. It is coming to an end now and I feel so excited reading the sharing from all of you. There were two stories that inspired me the most and I have to say I am so proud of my two colleagues here.

The first experience sharing that gave goosebumps was Syazwan's. Knowing him for some good years, I agreed with the shortcomings that he faced - voice projection and the classroom control since Sayzwan has always been a soft spoken person. Based on my own experiences, I know it was not easy to control a classroom especially like his which was full of boys with low voice projection. Furthermore, the soft nature of a person can also jeopardise the learning environment. Hence, when he shared his ways of overcoming those obstacles, I am inspired that he was willing to step out of his own comfort zone to deliver more efficient and high classroom performance. I also spent some times chatting and sharing with him on both of our teaching experiences, I can see that this whole 10 weeks have definitely developed him to become a much better person. I myself adapted some of his experiences to be adapted in my 10 weeks of teaching. Syazwan's sharing has taught me to be more discipline and committed when carrying out our duties. I would like to publicly announce that I am thankful for his experience sharing and may he continue to strive towards becoming a holistic educator.

The second person whose story inspired me the most was Gabriel's. His story in controlling 1C2 really caught my attention. This was because I had never used discipline teachers' name or call them out nor deduct the merit marks. Hence, I find it interesting as he did that. This shows that the students must be extremely difficult to handle thus giving the teacher more sky-high obstacles in managing them. I cannot imagine if I were to be in Gabriel's place, I could have probably done the same thing. This was in contrast with the kind of students I am teaching, yes, they were mischievous at times but still under control. The most I had ever done was just slightly raised my voice to calm the situation or ordered them to sit down at their own places. Indeed that was almost nothing compared to what Gabriel had gone through. The strength that he has acquired towards this teaching practice amazed me and I prayed that he had a fantastic journey.

I am highly proud of these two comrades as they have projected resilience and persistence in educating our youths. Being an educator for ten weeks, I understand the pains they have gone through and I am extremely glad that those experiences have moulded them to become way much better individuals.

Wishing you the very best of luck :)

Awatif Ghapar

No comments:

Post a Comment