This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Wednesday 7 November 2012

Teacher must be smart

THIRD REFLECTION

hello everyone!!! Depending too much on textbook can make the students bored.

student: teacher, you know something?

teacher: what is it?

student: you are the only teacher who doesn't depend a lot on textbook. we don't like the textbook.

The feedback that i get when i don't use textbook all the time during the lesson. For the first few weeks, the former teacher told me to use the textbook and follow everything in that. But what i did was, i just nodded my head and came up with other activities where the students can enjoy and learn something from the lesson.  After the brochure designing activity, the students always urge me to bring them out of class and do many activities like that so that they will get gift. They even ask me to teach English for 3 periods and imagine during my observation for English and Moral, my supervisors loved the kids because they were so lovely and cooperated well with my lesson.

The only way that i tackle my students is i always give and take with them. They hate writing. when i want to do essay writing with them, i will always come out with few related videos and let them watch. I will always let them choose their group members and let them discuss the points for the essay in class. I will always tell them that ' you don't have to write the essay in class but promise to me that you will pass up to me tomorrow morning'. The students were happy because they don't have to write the essay in class. The students did pass up the works as they promise. So, i practice give and take strategy to handle the students. I hope by doing this, both teacher and students gain benefits at the same time. Teachers must be smarter than the students and make sure that they are under controlled in the respectful way.


1 comment:

  1. This was so much different than what my mentor expected of me. Since I took over class, she expected me to closely follow the syllabus in the textbook. When devising my lesson plans, she advised it was always best to take the activities as suggested in the syllabus.

    I found that quite difficult as when doing our simulated teachings, we were free to devise any activities and learning programs for the students. However, as weeks passed by, I tried to meet her expectations and hopefully I have executed them well.

    Anyway, congrats to you Veny!

    ReplyDelete