This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Wednesday 28 November 2012

"Puzzle pieces" in teaching

Hello everyone,

Before I didn't know that there were a lot of paper work for teachers until I have been involved in this environment I got to know that as a teacher, they need to plan everything in advance. Preparing uncountable forms, documents and teaching materials make teachers can not take a pause.
 
During Form 4 exams, except doing invigilation . I also assisted to mark the exam paper except  summary writing part for both of my classes 4S1 and 4S4. Marking exam paper reminds me about the courses" Language testing and assessment" and "Assessment in literature education" I have taken in last two semesters. It took time to combine the knowledge masterly with the practical process. Sometimes the differences between the knowledge and practical process made me feel quite confused. When I was not sure about students' answers whether is right or wrong, I would just ask the teachers for opinions. " As an examiner, you should be fair with every student's answer. Never paraphrase their answers even you really want to give marks to them. Helping them to improve but not helping them to be just satisfied with their marks" the teacher's suggestion made me understand one more important responsibility of a teacher.
 
One episode happened during exam week. As my mentor has already did revision for 4S1 students earlier , so I just chose to do the revision for students about sentence connectors as they would use in writing part. On the day of English exam, it was my period of invigilation. When I just went to the class started to divide the exam paper, some boys came to me and ask me " Miss Amanda, what is the format of report?" I was shocked " Seriously? You suppose to know it! Didn't you learn it before? " " We learnt before, but our teacher didn't teach that much about that." Then I feel a little bit guilty, I should have done the revision about writing format for them. After the exam, I went to meet the mentor with my doubt. " Why they told me they didn't know the format of report? Some of them really looked worried about that." " Don't be bothered, they were just trying to get extra information to gain more marks from you. I have told them thousands of time unless they were sleeping when I teach them."  Oh, well, I was still too simple to deal with those "smart" heads. lol  Later on when I started to mark exam paper, thankfully most of the students managed to write the correct format in writing part.

During SPM and PMR exam, I was assigned to assist English department to prepare the teaching module and materials for Form 4 and Form 5 in 2013. I need to work on the grammar part. Categorizing  the grammatical items from every unit first then select the teaching materials from books and internet based on each item. After few days  I finally managed to collect over 300 materials into more than 30 item folders. How I wonder I could teach that time! Sometimes I also helped teachers to do the teaching aids and type students name lists. Uncountable paper work killed time.

Since exam has ended, there was nothing to restrict the students. Some of them even have no interest to come to school, so everyday there was 30%-40% absence in class. I had to came up more interesting activities to attract  their attention. By the way, it reminds me of using different teaching aids in class. From my point of view, pictures and drawing activity already can not satisfied Form 4 students. It forces me to look further to choose more different teaching aids in class. Starting from the first day, everyday before class starts, I will show one English quotes on color paper to students. It  related to different aspects of life. "Tip of the day" brings positive energy to students, it also catches their attention before class starts. As I managed to get the permission from chief teacher  at the beginning before I teach, I just need to go to science lab to borrow projector whenever I want to use in class. Videos never fails to catch their eyes as they rarely watch videos in their previous classes. Short video clips, music videos, commercial, animation, speech, news report, talk show,documentary and whatever I can use to match with the topics of different lessons. Sometimes I also bring posters, magazines like "reader digest" "Time" " Discovery " and " National Geography " magazine into writing and speaking class. The picture and commercial pages could used in presentation. The articles in magazine could be the samples to guide them in writing. Color paper, box , envelope and candies which I think a little bit childish also works on class. As long as students could be interested and focused in English learning, all kinds of teaching aids which are interesting, useful and relevant can be recommend to use.

Teaching is an exploring process, to find out what are students' needs, which way is more easier and interesting for teacher to deliver the knowledge to students. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment