This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Wednesday 7 November 2012

Learning is a lifelong process. So I learned from you.


Hello friends! I read through all the posts and have snickered and laughed along the way. I also feel sorry for some friends as I can imagine the horror of dealing with “monster” kids. I personally know and understand how it feels to be in your shoes although it may be an understatement. The entirety of an individual’s personal experiences differs from one to another. Nonetheless, I’m sure these two months have taught all of us what it means to be working as a teacher in reality instead of listening to sugar-coat tales from the likes of a teacher.
The first post that I choose is written by Zhao Xunyu or fondly known as Sophie to me. (Sophie if you’re reading this, recall me calling out your name in a sing-song manner. Haha) Anyway, on a serious note, hers catches my attention because it is very descriptive and detailed. She talks about each class she teaches as well as rising problems and her solutions. She is not a quitter and that is a quality that all aspiring teachers should have. More often than not, I have gotten to know a few teachers who only teach for the sake of familiarity and habit. Most of the time they cannot break away from their comfort zone and being in their position to teach without passion is like trying to light a short match for a very long period of time. I initially thought being a teacher was easy but boy was I wrong. Sophie’s on-going tales about her teaching experiences have opened my eyes about the teaching field. Teachers who teach without passion are most likely to produce students without tangible results. Simply put, students can also be the mirror of a teacher.

Not only that, creativity is important when we teach because a teacher works like a performer. It is never easy to keep audience entertained hence we constantly need new ideas and materials in order to catch students’ attention. Sophie has shown a tremendous amount of bright ideas in her teaching plans to which I am amazed of. I do admit I am not a creative person and I always wish I’m a tad more creative. I’m envious of creative people and their never ending creative juice to be incorporated in their work. Sophie even thought of using poker cards to teach her students. In Malaysian education system, I personally believe most teachers lack creativity due to syllabus constraint. Teachers should be allowed to explore and implement their creativity in class. If we want to gauge students’ creativity, we as teachers should put forth the example first. Practice what you preach. I’m very proud of Sophie for coming up with many interesting teaching activities and personally she has inspired me to brainstorm for more interesting ideas to teach in my classes. Good job Sophie! An exemplary trainee teacher!

Second post written by Wan Athirah is also very inspiring. She perseveres when she teaches in class especially when she knows some of her students are not proficient in English. Honestly it is not easy in keeping up one’s determination especially when you are faced with hurdles in life on a daily basis. In this context, she has to face these students every day and basically it means she has to deal with the same type of problem. Her level of determination is very motivating as she constantly enquires her students about their welfare and how they are coping with her lessons in class. I believe this is a very important trait to have as a teacher because being a teacher doesn’t mean we enter the class and only execute lessons. In my understanding, being an effective teacher means being one who is able to engage with students while at the same time deliver effective teaching. Honestly, seeing Athirah’s determination has made me realised that sometimes some teachers have completely given up on their students just because they are slow learners.

Sometimes all it takes is a little determination in helping students succeed. Being a teacher isn’t easy, I’m sure most of you have heard this many times. But saying it without providing solutions isn’t going to help others to improve. Besides that, she is an effective teacher because she constantly motivates her students to be better and to look forward to new lessons in class. This is especially important because students need constant motivation and this should start from the teacher herself. Teacher should always be humbled yet strict at the same time. If we want students to respect us, then we should respect them as well.
Anyway, there are many other traits and lessons that I can learn from the rest of you as well but I’m only limited to writing about two posts.  =( I have heard your teaching tales outside from this blog and I must say kudos to all of you. Being a teacher does bring out a different side in each and every one of us.  Keep up the good work and I’ll see you soon. God bless!


Warmest regards,
Winnie Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment