This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Thursday 8 November 2012

Reflection 3: Overcoming Obstacles - Bring Them On!


In Reflection 2, I have shared with all of you on the shortcomings that I had faced during my teaching in SMK Taman SEA. Now I am going to share with you the strategies or methods I used to tackle those predicaments.

I devised my lesson plans afterwards according to their preferences and proficiency. For two weeks, the students from both classes were happy with the newly-devised lessons. However, I had the idea of challenging their learning comfort zones. I wanted the students to experience both sides of the fun and serious learning sessions. Hence, I set another expectation settings with them telling them from now on their learning will be intensive and fun at the same time. This had also eased me to do lesson plans, instead of devising different lesson plans each time, I can use the similar lesson plan for both classes.

It was a complete exuberance to see the students’ responses towards the new learning styles. I was thankful that they were not dreadful and complaining. Part of it could be because exam was nearing and they needed more time to do revision. Apart from that, they also wanted activities that were a little relaxed since they were also shouldered with much work from other subjects.

The peak point of this new method was during one week before the examination commenced. For the English class, I started off with some teachings on tenses and provided group quizzes afterwards. Then, I moved on to teach the techniques of argumentative paragraph for the students. After giving the lesson, I asked them to be in group of five students. Each of the member will write one paragraph to complete one whole essay. Hence, by the end of the lesson, every group should come out with one essay. The students were asked to also do peer checking to make sure all the elements needed in an argumentative paragraph were done. After that, I conducted debating session in the classrooms. There will be groups that will support and oppose the motion. I was extremely happy that the whole teaching sessions went well. This proved that the students have numerous potentials in them but they chose to limit themselves according to their preferences. Adding to that, students from both classes actually enjoyed lessons that comprised of both serious and fun activities.

I took every challenge in this practicum as part of my learning curves. The challenges helped me to look forward in life as they exposed me to different perspectives and environment. Not only that, our teaching practical is the REALITY that awaits for us once we graduated.

Awatif Ghapar

1 comment:

  1. I felt that the students would definitely learn better and be more eager to participate in class activities if the teacher devises his/her lesson plans according to the students' need & preferences. That's what happened to me too, Awatif. I asked my students a lot about what they like & what they dislike, how were the experiences of learning from their 2 previous teachers before I stepped in. E.g. Since they love to talk & would like to improve in speaking + presentation skills, I let them did more talking in. I found that they started to enjoy the class & be more tolerant with me as I gave them the freedom to do what they like & encouraged them to go beyond the line but in the same time, they're still able to learn.

    ReplyDelete