This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Monday 3 September 2012

"Be careful" the supervisor said



Wednesday, 29 August 2012
@ UM
Morning: Getting the news before going to the conference that I was assigned to a well-known girls' school--SMK Assunta, my heart was actually weighed down. Then during the conference, Dr. Adele said things like" Some of you are assigned to very good schools, such as XXXXXXX, SMK Assunta...", then my heart went down to the bottom. Expectation? May mighty God bless me!

Afternoon: First time meeting our supervisor Dr.Dorothy in her office, she was quite nice and told us to try our best because of  the good reputation of SMK Assunta, she said the teachers were very nice as she once worked with that school. Expectation? It might not be that scary, God bless me!

Thursday, 30 August 2012
@ SMK Assunta
First time visiting the school with my partners, I felt more bashful than nervous, I was like an alien in a school with all girl students and female teachers, the only male I saw was the guard.
The offices and teachers were helping and kindhearted, the only thing was they call UM as MU, haha. We met senior subsistent and our mentors, they said all things that made us feel eased. We were gathered in the meeting room with two mentors and the head of BI. My partner Wang Yi and I got assigned to afternoon session, which was to teach Form 2 students. Then I was told to be extremely careful in that school. Yes I would.

Monday, 3 September 2012
@ SMK Assunta
First day in SMK Assunta officially as a student teacher, and also first time of my formal suit in Malaysia.
WangYi and I went to the school at around 12:45 for our afternoon session, after we signed the attendance, we met our supervisor Pn Koh in her office, she gave us the time table, I got 2 A classes, which was a bit shocking as I thought we would be given middle classes. Surprisingly Pn Koh asked me if it was OK for me to start the first session in Friday afternoon as she said I had to go for Friday prayer, then she told Pn Mariana to seek for a better time for me as it might be a little challenging in Jummat. I truly thank both of them. Later Pn Mariana got us introduced to our respectively teachers in charge, my 2A1 class teacher is Ms Usharani but unfortunately she was on MC today so I didn't meet her. Then I met my 2A3 class teacher, Ms Foo,she was really nice and helpful, she told me some basic things should be noted, later she lent me her textbook as she got an extra. Many thanks to her as well.

We were assigned 3 relieve classes each, we asked Pn Mariana what we should do during relieve class as it was the first time ever for us to be in a relieve class. Then we decided to ask the students to do their work on their own. It was not easy to keep the Form 1 and Form 2 students to be quite, it took time and energy to keep them not to be too noisy.
One more things, it was ruly hard to find the Surau Lelaki in a girls' school, finally I was helped by a teacher who led me to the backside of the huge Surau Perempuan, which should be considered as one of the smallest Surau I'd ever seen, but after all Allhamdullilah...

By the way, the school is really well-equipped.

First day was always hard, to all of my friends: hope our coming days would be much easier!

1 comment:

  1. How very nice of them to be very considerate. Count your lucky stars. Also, pls focus on what I asked you to write about. When in doubt, search for peace n quiet in the littlest surau in the world. Hehe

    ReplyDelete