This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Saturday 22 September 2012

There are always room for improvements

It been 3 weeks i've been here in S.M.K Seri Hartamas. But every times i entered the class it still give me butterflies. This would be my main problem. There are always room for improvements - Madam Jeet (my mentor) Somehow she always give me positive comments and suggestions for what to do in class whenever i felt down and made me want to do better for the next class. I got form 2 Ikhlas which is very noisy and divided into few groups in class. They have high proficiency and low proficiency students and some like to talk Bahasa with me. Group works doesn't fit them as they always talk in groups and i unable to control the class told my mentor. They also have little respect for teacher. So I changed my method from being nice to strict. They still like to talk though but i will constantly remind them to be silent. My mentor also commented my teaching where i always concentrate the front row because they always answered my question and forgot about students sitting at the back and made them lost interest to learn. I've tried role play in group but only the high proficiency seem to participate. I still need to figure more methods for them that complements everyone in the class. While for my form 4 Zuhal they are very passive and somehow reminded me of my high school class. It is always the same person that answered all the questions i asked them. They don't like to do group work and if yes only the same person did all the tasks while others will chat or sleep. Because of this i will always ask people who sleep, chat and sitting at the back to answer questions or give their comments in class. Every comments and experiences i faced made me stronger and i'll to do it better next day. And feel free to comment if you have any suggestion or comment to help me. Aby <3

2 comments:

  1. Aby,
    I have some students who are lazy, do not pay attention and who loves to rest their head on the table. What I did was, I try to conquer their closest friends first. Slowly, when their friends are doing the work, that particular student will do it too. One more thing, if the lazy students have a gang, try to figure out who is the head of the gang. Approach him first, then the others will follow.

    Love,
    Rujin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good strategies Rou Jin. Yes, Im glad your mentor is also giving you tips on working with your students. Do not give up and learn to adapt to the students. How are your materials prepared? THe type of tasks you asked them to carry out in class? Check out thelushtree to see diff types of resources used by your peers in class. G'luck!

    Dr Adele

    ReplyDelete