This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Sunday 16 September 2012

Fear not, just get involved ....


29th August 2012   Briefing Day

Since i knew our teaching practice last semester, i had kept thinking of it for long time. “What kind of school am i going?” “Will i be able to deal with the tough situation?”...every time, i tell myself, “it’s alright, you still have time”. However, today is different, i have no other choice, the journey starts. I got posted at SMK Bukit Bandaraya, Bangsar, together with my good girls Mafia, Athira and Eza. I was quite excited because we know each other well and it makes me feel warm. 

In the afternoon, we planned to see the location of the school. With the help of Eza, we arrived the second home, our school. It is still the school time, although we cannot go inside, i can still hear the noises made by students and my heartbeat, as well. Anyway, i remind myself to remember Dr. Adele’s words “Calm down, they are just children”.  

30th August 2012   First formal visit to school

Today, Mafia and I, we both wear Baju Kurung and we wish that it will bring us good luck. As Athira and Mafia said in last few reflections, when we first stepped into the school, we were not that welcomed, anyway, things goes better very soon. We met the school principal Pn Nooraini. She is very warm-heated and after her brief introduction of school, she tells us that “after you girls leave this school, you have no problem with any schools”. No matter this is a reminder or encouragement, i know that we have to be ready for the coming challenge, we are thirsty now and we have to learn.

Pn Nooraini assigned Chief Clerk to show us around the school compound, with Eza and Athira’s help, translating from Malay to English, we tried to get what chief said. Without understanding what chief said directly, i have the feelings that i am the strangers here. I was worrying “Will foreign teachers be welcomed by students?” “ Will the students bully us by using Malay?” ....the endless questions surrounded in my mind.
After getting the tables in staff room, we met our mentor Cik Thiagaranee. We can feel that she was quite happy to see us, but she looks busy. Later we know that the school lacks of teachers these days because a lot of teachers on leave. Actually, our coming is kind of timely help for the school. We should feel lucky because we have more opportunities to gain the experience than others. 

Later, we met Pn Siti, administrator of school, who assigned the class to us. I was assigned to teach Form 2 AMANAH and form 4 IKHLAS. Pn Siti told me that form 2 class’s level is quite low and form 4 is okay, higher than middle. I’m fine with it because i always believe lower mark students always have the most potential, compared to the top students. I am not sure i can make them be the best, but i believe i can make them better. I always remember “ if things donnot go the way you expect, make the best of the things you have”.

3rd September 2012  First Day in School

The school introduced us to the students in the morning assembly. We were welcomed by the students, we guess they are curious about us. Talking with some senior teachers in the school, we get some information about our own assigned classes. I was shocked when one of the teachers gave me a sign of “kill”when I mention about form 2 AMANAH. Whatever, everything will be fine, i can make it. Some teachers told us donnot smile too much on the first class and you have to be very strict. I listen and do what they remind us. Monday, i donnot have too many classes, the first classes i got is 2 relief classes, i asked teachers what to do in relief class, they told us just be strict and let them do the assignment. I did what they told me and i was extremely strict in the first class, i found that students do respect you but they afraid to talk. I was upset because i think i kill their willingness to talk. In the second relief class, i try to be myself, smile at the right time and be strict at the right time. Surprisingly, the situation became totally different. Students feel comfortable with the situation, including me. :) i think the best way to be a good teacher is to be who you are.

The first day of my assigned class is also good, they are quite high compared with other classes. They listened to me a lot in the first class and i think this is a good start. Just wish everything goes well day by day! :)

Sorry for late posting
AND best wishes for all my other course mates! 

ZHAO XUNYU

No comments:

Post a Comment