This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Friday 21 September 2012

The Boys

Bukit Bintang Boys, of course.

Since the first day I came in to this school, I can say that all of them see us like we are nobody, not a real teacher. The best thing is that I was assigned for 1 U, 2nd best class. But still,  I was assigned for the last class, 1 T as well... I never give up but give my best to cater both classes. I can say that all, yes, ALL of the classes are super active, like Syazwan said in his post. They can never sit still, always talking, and moving around for no reason. By putting on ground rules and implementing them straight away when they mess up, it did help me to gain class control. Anyway, for 1 T, I can say that, all of my colleagues are shouting to them. only our Penyelia Petang managed to control their behavior with soft-spoken words.

Problems I Faced
All of them are super active. They always giving us excuses to go out e.g toilet, see other teacher. I rarely entertain them. 
1T - they have very low proficiency in English. I have to mix my English with BM every now and then. they make loud noises, even when i'm teaching them. I can't even rely on their monitor as he makes more noise than others.However, there are a few of them who really like to learn are giving full concentration.
1U - they have better proficiency than 1T. however some of them don't give full co-operation, perhaps they don't really like my style, only 10% of them are like that.
2B (Moral) - first class, but same problem (loud noises, reasons to go out). 

Strategies
1. Ground rules that I have set and implementing it right away. at least it give them that "don't mess with me" mindset. I have to do this since they don't have any fear/respect towards their regular teachers, what more from me?
2. Mahjong papers, manila cards, pictures are essential as it attracts them. the classroom are not equipped with projectors and plug points are not working. thus, Syazwan and I have to opt traditional teaching aids.
3.  for better classes, I can use a lot of student-centered methods like discussions, presentations. but for 1 T, I choose to be more of traditional-type because of their level. However, I still include games and fun to attract them.

so far, strategy 2 and 3 have worked well. but for num 1, it is not really working to all of them. But still, me and Syazwan always discusses about giving them harsh punishments only when they went overboard. this is because our Penyelia Petang doesn't really like the shouting and harsh punishments like our colleagues did as she feel pity with the students' background, problems etc. But still, if we don't take care of ourselves, they will stepped on our head, right? (sorry for literal translation). 

However, my motivation is still high as before not for grades but for my classes. I really want to share and spread the knowledge to them.

1 comment:

  1. Have you tried chatting with the students outside of the class? Perhaps, trying to get to know them better, their background etc since your mentor thinks that their 'background' is making them as such. What is it about their bg that is influencing their behaviour?

    Dr Adele

    ReplyDelete