This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Saturday 1 September 2012

I lost my cool... But now it's back!

I admit, upon meeting Dr Adele for the briefing on Wednesday morning, the saying 'butterflies in my tummy' did not do me justice. I was nervous, anxious, scared although full of anticipation for my coming teaching practice. I was assigned to SMK TTDI and gave them a call straight away after the briefing was dismissed. Great, meeting with the Pengetua, Datin Hasmah, was scheduled the next morning. Lucky for me, I have the bubbly and positive-minded Zulaikha as my partner so we drove to SMK TTDI the morning to see what we will be up against for the next 10 weeks. Unfortunately, the Datin Hasmah had an urgent meeting to attend to so she left us with the Penolong Kanan, Puan Aisyah. All I can say is, Puan Aisyah lifted my spirits sky-high! She was very friendly, talkative and helpful in showing us around and giving us our teaching timetable. I will be teaching English to a form 2 class, and Sejarah to a form 3 class. Yes, Sejarah. I'm not kidding. Apparently the school needed a replacement teacher as the current one will be delivering her baby anytime soon. Of course I had Dr Adele in mind when I accepted the post, as we shouldn't be picky and fussy about what has been appointed to us. Well, I take it as a challenge then! As we wandered the school grounds, I noticed the teachers there were very generous with their smiles. I was also introduced to my mentor, a petite, soft-spoken lady named Madam Thien. Personally, I am thankful to be assigned to this school and I am looking forward to teaching the students here. They say that the first impression is everything. So for me, the school had me impressed at first sight. So 4th-year TESL-ians, let's do this! All the best for your teaching practice :)

3 comments: