This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Sunday 2 September 2012

A New Chapter

Greetings fellow friends! First of all, it was a shame that I couldn't make it for the briefing as there was a confusion with the date for the commencing semester and had already booked my flight ticket from Kuching to KL. Anyway, let's cut to the chase. A week or two before the announcement of posting, I had a hunch that I'd be assigned to teach Form 4 students (I don't know why, probably a sixth sense) and true enough, my partner, Farha Alia went to meet our mentor and both of us were assigned to teach Form 4 students in SMK Assunta PJ. My first thought was bittersweet. It is good in a sense that we have been using Form 4 syllabus to draft and plan our previous lesson plans for last semester's courses so honestly, I can recycle them *grins*. Besides, it gives me an assurance that I will (and shall) not stray away from my designated lesson plans. That being said, one can only plan but God decides. I believe one of my biggest challenge includes gauging students' thoughts and personality in order to suit their learning styles. Imagine if I deliver an ineffective teaching, wouldn't that affect my overall performance especially during evaluation? *shudders*

The only way to cope with this is to talk to my mentor, observe and heed her advice. After all, who knows those students better than their own teachers? I sure hope this works. *crosses fingers* If all else fails, there's always Plan B. If that doesn't work either, there's always Plan C. Ah, you know how the alphabet works. I had a few strategies swimming in my mind before this. I'm going to dig up old rusty knowledge from previous courses for the past 3 years and include these infinite knowledge into my teaching. Well you know what they say. It's never a real learning until you practise what you preach. I hope being in an all-girls school before this gives me an edge on how to control a class full of female students and to interact with them on the same wavelength while at the same time maintaining my professionalism.

I'll be heading to the school tomorrow wearing my baju kedah (I always have a preference for baju kedah). What will you wear?  I'll probably take some pictures and show you how the school looks like. Till then, wish me luck and all the best to the rest of us! Please make UM proud =)

Warmest regards,
Winnie Nelson     

No comments:

Post a Comment