This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Sunday 2 September 2012

No Shouting, Be Cool


Bukit Bintang Boys School. A prestigious school. The students perform well in academic and sports. They are proficient in English. They are up for challenges, creative, curious and hardworking. They are all well behaved boys.
Those are the things I found on Google. Apparently, someone overrated the school. How did I know it was overrated? At first, one of my friends, a guy from PJ told me that the school is filled with ‘gangsters’. Okay. I thought he just wanted to make me nervous.
On Thursday, 30th of August, I went to the school with Fahmi. We met the PK1, Puan Siti Marriam and got some insight about the school. She told us three important things which reflect the real image of the school:
1)      “You will be assigned to afternoon session, so I advise you to do head count every time before you started the class after recess. The students like to go home after recess”
2)      “The students can speak a little bit of English and Malay and they use their mother tongue language most of the time, so I suggest you be well prepared, maybe use cards or other things. You are young, I believe you can do this.”
3)      “The school performance is dropping for the past 3 years and there are teachers that always said that there is nothing they can do for the students’ performance. I want you to do something, prove that you really want to be a teacher”
So, basically, those are my challenges and I am preparing myself to face them. The first thing I did was I went shopping for my school attire. (-.-). Then I prepared some lesson plans for low intermediate and intermediate level students. Finally I called my father ask for his advice. My father is a teacher since 1984.
For tomorrow, I’ll just remember this, ‘No shouting, be cool’. (“,)

1 comment:

  1. "I advise you to do head count every time before you started the class after recess" :-)

    Show them what you're made of.

    ReplyDelete