This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Wednesday 19 September 2012

Don't make them feel bored


"Don't make them feel bored", this was the answer I got when I asked the teacher how to have a good classroom control.

Dr. Adele mentioned time flies, well time never flies if we try not to stay, while I can never deny the fact that the past two weeks were rather faster than I've ever expected.

OK, the problems in teaching. The first shock came on the first day when I was told to teach the both classes (2A1&2A3) using their Form 2 textbooks, and beginning with different chapters. Anyhow I had to follow what the two teachers told me to do, yet I still felt grateful as they said YES when I asked if I was allowed to add my own things as long as I managed to cover the topics on the textbook. Frankly speaking I realized my training would be suffering if I stick to the things on the textbook right after the first class, which I used the things in the textbook, I could see students were actually looking forward to a whole new experience instead of the same old things they already got used to in their daily studies, so regarding this issue, what I have been trying to do in my classes is to come up with my own ideas and activities within the realm of the topics and themes provided by the textbook, which so far hasn't made the students feel bored yet. 

The biggest problem for now, if I can put it so, should be the constantly practice thing they have been having for almost 2 weeks, which left me with only half of the class in most periods and it's quite hard to carry out the activities I planned, so I had to adjust the amounts of activities, groups and group members accordingly during the class. But lucky they won't be having any practice from next week, we were told that all things would be finished by this Friday after the concert.

The classroom discipline is so much better than I expected as well, meaning to say so far it didn't bring me any problem to control the class. "Don't worry, my girls won't bring you any trouble", said my 2A1 teacher Ms Usha, haha.

Once again, best of luck for all my friends in days to come!

And allow me to greet all of you with our Assunta way: Thank you, and God bless you!




Students' mind maps

Little cakes from students for Wang Yi & me


"Leaving students with homework=Extra work for teachers" TRUE :P

No comments:

Post a Comment