This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Friday 21 September 2012

Of everyday's pressure and love

     Hello warriors. We have been in our teaching practice for almost 3 weeks already. As I was assigned to teach Form 1 Cekal and Form 2 Sabar, I started my teaching since the first day of practical. I could not make any class observation as the class teacher was on maternity leave. For the first weeks, I made some activities to test their language skills.
        Let me begin with my form 1 class. They are the best class. Their proficiency are average-high intermediate. They have settled with all the syllabus when I came in. So, I told them that we are going to make revision for the final exam. Based on all the activities that are being done with them, they are really capable of doing all kinds of activities. However, they keep on talking and move around. Although some teachers remind me not to let them talk too much in the class, I didn't stop their conversation with their friends in the class as in my own opinion, they are undergoing process of learning as they converse in English. Honestly, there are not much problems that came up while teaching them. For next week's class, I 've prepared a lesson plan that is quite challenging for them as I don't want them to be too confident that they can handle everything. On last Tuesday, two of my form1 students made a public speaking in front of the whole school.I am really proud of them and honestly, there's no words can describe how happy I am when they get down from the stage podium, the first face that they look at was at me with a smile :). These are some pictures on activity that is done with them 






     Let's move on with form 2 students. I was assigned to teach form 2 Sabar. All teachers and school admins always remind me to be really patient with them. On my first class, I did ice breaking activity by giving them a blank sheet of paper and ask them to draw pictures that describe about themselves. The rationale that I did this so that I could get to know them better and I could be able to test their language skills. When they start presenting their drawing, I know that they proficiency are very weak. There is one student who asked me what's the purpose of learning English as he only wants to work at a car wash. I was really speechless at that time. Besides that, they are very noisy and always move around. At that time,I really don't know how to control them. Even if I scold them, they will only keep quiet for 3 minutes before they become noisy again. I was really pressured. 
     On the first week itself, I try to do activities that I could see their ability in reading and writing. I did a summary with them. I got to know that they are unable to find their own main points.They need to be spoon feed all the time. I talked to my school mentor about it and she asked me to translate the words as the students are very weak. On second week, their attitude still haven't changed. I keep on scolding them but as again, they will only be quiet for 3 minutes. There was one female student who is quite rude. There was one time where she shouts and said ' Wey, teacher, come here'' ( in Malay Language). I told her is that the appropriate way you call your teacher. I was very angry and speechless when she said 'It's up to me on how I want to call you''.  I was very fed up at that time.
    
     Moreover, there's one male student in the class who's going through dyslexia learning problem. He takes some time to do the task given but at the same time he cannot sit still on his seat.  I ask for the class's teacher advice about the them and the teacher asks me to always threaten them. On the next class, I try to understand them by talking softly to them but at the same time I threatened them when they are naughty. There was one time where I'm already in the class but one of the student went to other class. I went to that class and called my student but when I go in front, he went to the back,when I go to the back,he goes to the front until I told him that if he keeps on doing that, he can just stand for the whole 80 minutes. Honestly, each of them have their own attitude which is very hard for me to tackle each of them. Only around 10 students who are okay in the class.

 On the learning part itself, I try to simplify my activities based on the basic level. Honestly, I could not really made interesting activity or use a lot of teaching aids with them as they are unable to even make sentences on their own. I go through each activity with them one by one. I am still learning and try many ways to tackle their attitude. I really need some tips from all of you.

      For the coming class, I have some plans to be done with the students. For the form 1 students, I will do more intensive exercise as they are going to sit for their finals soon. Meanwhile, for the form two students, I will start the intensive exercise earlier with them as I need to go through with them one by one. 
      After being commented by my supervisor about the form two students, I could say that I let God decide what's best for me. Although my first evaluation was not good as I could not do any interesting activity with them, I believe that I have tried my best to guide them. Before, I was worried about my marks, but now what matters to me is not my marks anymore, but on the guidance that I have try to give to them so that they could improve even I need to guide them on each step  although they are still naughty until now. I believe that the satisfaction of teaching came when they learn and understand  even a bit although my method is traditional. There was never a day that I was not angry with them but I've started to love them no matter how naughty they are. Right now, I really  don't know how to do any interesting activities while at the same time they are unable to make their own sentences......

2 comments:

  1. Eza,
    Your problem is quite hard to handle. But here's my suggestion. Let say you have exercises with 10 questions, tell the lazy student that you want him/her to answer the question number 7 for example. Therefore, he/she will be prepared and there won't be much work for him/her. You can ask them to do it in a group. Besides, use appropriate way to call them. Say please or thank you when they do something for you. Give them compliments and maybe you can try to buy small stickers and stick on their books if they hand in their work. Others will feel jealous and next time,they will do your work just to get the stickers. Try to break the ice again. Do not teach for a day. Do some ice-breaking activity. Let them know that you're a strict teacher and at the same time, you can be fun. Create lessons which will involve them actively. For example, teach them about Prepositions.

    Best of luck sayang. We will always help you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like you, I was concerned about my grade after what I had went through during my first observation by my supervisor. I was a bit upset but when I finally came to my senses, I realized that what matters the most is to guide the students so that they can improve & overcome their weakness. We should be thankful that we are able to do so, to lend a helping hand for the sake of the students' need. Nothing is more fulfilling to see the achievement that they gained afterwards. I'm very proud of you, Eza! You have inspired me to be a better teacher! Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete