This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Monday 3 September 2012

Turn Over a New Leaf


Big headache! Frankly, I have no idea at all what should I do after I went to the briefing regarding our practical last Wednesday. All I can say is that I wasn’t ready at all for this. Hence, I did not have any particular expectation about the upcoming practical. It is my forth year as a TESL student, but all of a sudden, I felt like a total stranger when I stepped my foot in UM that day. Though I was bothered with other personal problems, I tried to put my focus on this important matter.

I think my biggest challenge is how to tackle my students’ attention when I deliver my lesson. I’m not sure whether I can be a good teacher as my biggest concern is will I be able to teach effectively? I don’t know. I hope I can. Simulated teaching courses that we’ve been through last semester might be helpful, but bear in mind that the real situation may not be the same. Now, we’re in a real school, real classroom, and real students. So, what are my strategies then? One, be mentally and physically prepared. If not, I might panic which will affect my performance as a teacher trainee. Two, don’t be shy to ask. Knowledge is everywhere, you just need to know how and where to search for it. Three, respect everyone as how you want them to respect you – that is the most basic thing that you need to master when you want to foster a good relationship with anyone.


So, to all my fellow friends: I wish you well & all the best! J And SMK Damansara Jaya – here I come...!! Heeeyaaarrrkkkkkkk! *running towards the school fiercely & maniacally with black marker pen in my right hand & English text book in the left hand, hehehe!* :P


The teacher is the one who gets the most out of the lessons, and the true teacher is the learner.” – Elbert Hubbard –

1 comment:

  1. "Simulated teaching courses that we’ve been through last semester might be helpful, but bear in mind that the real situation may not be the same."

    Very true. Find the connection between what you've learned and what you're going through at school. You'll be surprised. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete