This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Friday 21 September 2012

Breathe Easy

Assalam and greetings! I've been missing each and every one of you. For real! =)

How have you been? I’ve read amazing and exciting stories from all of you. Surely I know you're more than fine! I miss Uni though. Anyhow, I’ve been great in SMK Assunta. The girls in general are excellent and the teachers are the best ever. All of them are nice and friendly! You do need friendly people when you're in a new place. I love to bits the healthy environment, Assunta defines One Malaysia. They do not discriminate, judge nor racist towards anybody. To be honest, I wish I was an Assuntarian, they are simply astounding.

I've been into a great number of classes (relief classes) and they will always want to get to know me. As usual, fresh faces get the extra attention. Winnie gets it all the time, teehee. The students easily open up to me, asking for love, friendship and all kinds of advice, you name it. I don’t mind spending time talking to them because I see them as sisters.

As for teaching, I start to find passion in doing it. The senior assistant once said to me, "it's never really about how much money you make, it's about being passionate of what you do and what changes can you bring into your students' life". As for classes, I’ve been assigned to teach 4 Science 3 and 4 Accounts 1. You can tell the differences between these two classes the second you meet them. The students in 4S3 are talkative, active, enthusiastic and responsive. Meanwhile, my students in 4A1 are quite reserved and afraid of making mistakes but they are indeed good listeners and writers. I can get the 4S3 students to talk about themselves in a blink of an eye. However, 4A1 prefers to listen attentively and get the work done, thus that leaves me unknowing of their backgrounds and etc. I’m still trying to adapt and keep in mind that these two classes are very dissimilar than one another.

My mentor had observed my teaching and she always makes me feel good about myself, which is a good thing because sometimes when you doubt your capabilities, you do need some confidence boost. My mentor really is like a mother and I feel more than comfortable being around her.  My supervisor came the next day after my mentor’s observation. Truth be told, though she gave some positive feedbacks, I personally believe that I have not done my best and I know I could have done better.

Class control is not a problem, though 4S3 has talkative students, they do listen to instructions and 4A1 will never cause problems. I love being in Assunta, I love teaching, love the students and I appreciate the support from family, best friend and friends who have always been there through thick and thin. God wants us to persevere and I know He listens to our prayers. We can survive this! Dear friends, I miss you badly!

Activities – try discussion, role play, drawing and don’t forget about the formative assessments.

Best regards,

Farha Alia

1 comment:

  1. Eyyyyyy! You get all the attention too! Humble pie. Haha. Anyway you are a great teacher and always will be! xx

    ReplyDelete