This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Monday 17 September 2012

What happened to you, my little soldiers?

Sek. Men (J) Keb. Katholik
17 Sep 2012

Hi, fellows~
Tomorrow is another bran-new day and its about one hour later. Im now trying to get some sleep, but before that I really need to share my teaching days with you.
The first of school, I was assigned to two Form 4 classes which make me feel the teaching methods I learnt in university are total useless. They look like kids, but they are not! I tried and tried to attract their attention and interests. The reslut is just not what I expect. I tried everything I have- pictures,pop music, slides, videos and more. However, their feedbacks are killing me~ They hate group discussion, debat, role play and etc. Now I am the only one who get excited in the class.. :(
They are good kids though. Even they were not exciting about my lesson but still sit up straight and maintain the class discipline well. They will do whatever I ask them to. Its just, I dont feel good or feel satisfied with these. I want more. I want to become that kind of teacher who could make the whole class get excited and wish to learn more.
After the lessons, I like to ask my students what they feel about the activities. They told me that the lesson is fine but they kind of knew that I am the training teacher, so what I taught them are not going to their finals. In the other hand, their final exams are coming soon. They are all under pressure right now..

>.<  ... ...  Fellows, what should I do?!

Tomorrow is another bran-new day and I had planed an interesting lesson(Wish I was right) for them. Good luck to me! Good luck to everyone!!

2 comments:

  1. IF exams are in their mind, you CAN use English to help them with their other subjects which are haunting them. With English, you can teach history, science etc. Help them remember Scientific concepts with games or puzzles using the English language. G'luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dr.!
      I have tried to do some revisions on their essay writtings after I rearrange my lesson plan. Finally they gave me some reactions!(Little Kids,only care about the exams :1)
      Anyway,the best part is that the report writing we discussed together has came out in their exam paper TODAY!! I'm so happy I helped them. It's like they eventually learnt something useful from me.
      When I went inside the classroom and kept monitoring the exam from other teacher, some of the my students showed their happy faces,tried to tell me how lucky we are. Which makes me feel good a little bit~
      There is another English literature exam at following week. I wish they could do it well too.
      And thank you again, Dr.Adele. I'm definitely going to use your method to help them! Many thanks~

      Delete