This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Thursday 20 September 2012

Don't Agonize, Be Organize!

Hello, hello my lovely mates :)

How are you? I miss all of you so much. I hope everything is going fine. Well, it is the 3rd week of our practical, how time flies so fast.. till today, i have been observed once by my mentor as well as by my supervisor.. all is well but it is not that bad and it is not that fabulous.. Whatever it is, don't give up and feel sad okay. We are all learning from mistakes that mistakes will make us a better person.. so SMILE :)

The first week of teaching, I could feel the tense and a million things running down my head.. How am I going to face the students? What if they make fun of me? or worst What if they don't respect me and step over my head?.. all of these things made me nervous and shaky all day.

I entered my Form 1 Jujur class on Tuesday (4th Sept 2012), it was a 2 hours straight lesson. I started by doing some ice-breaking activities. The students were all excited and anticipated for games and fun lessons from me. I admitted that I talked a lot that day because I really want the students to pay attention and listen to me. But after some time, they are becoming restless and started making noises and moves around. That is the biggest challenged I have faced so far. Then, we did summary exercise and surprisingly, when I asked them to do the exercise and pass up to me by the end of the lesson, they were silent, remain sitted at their places and quietly getting the tasks done and guess what? they managed to complete their summary exercise and submit it in just 30 minutes time. So? I learnt that the students learning style are not fully depending on the teacher, they would love to have some group activities and have time on their own to accomplish the tasks given to them.

I have overcome the challenges by getting my lesson more proper and organize, have less worries and just be pleasant with the students but I have to be strict and stern sometimes. More importantly, I designed my lesson and make sure it is communicatively balanced between the teacher and students. I will give them some times to discuss in groups, having formal interactions with me, have an activities in classroom to keep them active and let them present their works. It spot on and the students loves it.

For my form 2 Jujur class, the students are brilliant, creative, loves to talk and some of them are shy. What I have done so far are, 60% 40% techniques. I will talk, explain, gives feedback, encouraging them to get involved before I asked them to work individually, pairs or in groups. They listened well and thank God all lessons are well conducted till today.

I realized that we cannot have too much worries and we have to expect everything to be good and positive. We are all not perfect, we made mistakes, sometimes what we have planned out does not working and sometimes what we think are the best could be the worst. So comrades, keep your chin up, be bold and be confident. Don't Agonize but Be Organize :)

Allow me to share some pictures from my lessons. Enjoy them :)





No comments:

Post a Comment