This blog was created for students teachers to reflect on their teaching experience at school and share this experience with one another. As each shares and collaborates on best practices, successes as well as mistakes in teaching ESL, it is hoped that student teachers will benefit from such collaborative reflections on this blog platform and continue to appreciate the use of such a platform for further collaborations even after Teaching Practice.

Friday 21 September 2012

The Battleship Just Begin!!!!

          The first week of the school, I really had no idea which class I am going to teach. The only thing I know is that I'm respectively teaching both Form 2 and Form 4 classes. I reached at SMK (P) Taman Petaling around 7.05am. My partner, Shila and I waited for 10minutes at the office to meet our Guru Penolong Kanan(GPK). Pn.Saras is the GPK of the school and welcomed us with a smile. She gave us the timetable of the classes and asks us to choose which classes we want. I got the second best class for my Form 2 and middle class for my Form 4. She also explained to us what we need to do and surprisingly she gave us one week to observe the classes. Even though our mentor is the same person, but we have four different teachers for four different classes. It means that each of us has two different teachers to evaluate us.
          I went to my Form 2 class and I found out that a few of them were very active in the class. But most of them preferred to be silent in the class. For my Form 4 class, unfortunately the teacher who supposed to come to the class was not there. So I decided to do ice breaking with them. My first impression towards them.. "They were very good". Well first impression is not always the best. I went to see the teacher of my Form 4 class. And what she told me was the class has an attitude problem and all the teachers are not satisfied with them. I was thinking how I am going to handle the students. I went to all the classes including shila's class to observed how the lesson is carried out. For my Form 2, the teacher told me that I need to be careful with four Chinese students who are sitting at the back of the class. This is because, they like to talk and do their own work and sometimes they will be very stubborn. Another problem that I am going to face. Both of my classes there are attitude problems.
          The first week was good because we have not started to teach yet. And the real "war" started at the second week of the school. I went to my Form 2 class and as what my teacher told me, the four Chinese students they did not listen to me. They kind of "bully" me because they were talking in mandarin. I was so pissed off.  The same thing happened in my Form 4 class. But the situation is different. The first class on Monday was after recess. So most of them came in late to the class. I waited for 20minutes for them. And when I teach, they didn't even respond to me. And some of them sleeping in the class. When I asked they said "she is not feeling well teacher". Everyday there will be at least one student lying down on the table. 
          For my Form 2 class, the next day I decided to have a proper strategy on how to tackle the four students as they are the main group that will be making noise in the class.What I did? When I was teaching, they were doing their own work. I went to their place and asked them what are they doing. They said nothing. And when I walked away, they started to talk in Mandarin. So I told them. For your information I know 5 languages. The interesting part is four of them started to think what are the languages that I know. I think that it is the best strategic to make them to pay attention in the class. And the awkward moment when they talked in Mandarin and I will try my best to answer them in English according to the question they asked. At the same time I am learning the language as well. Until now I did not tell them the truth. It's almost 3 weeks I'm in SMKPTP, and now I really love my Form 2 kids because I managed to grab their attention to listen to me. All the four students listened to me, do their work, and "advised" me not to go to block D because it is haunted. How sweet they are. Finally I got the chance to know about them. I am not lying to my students but I am trying to make them to listen and concentrate in my lesson. Hope it is not a "sin". :) The problem for my Form 2 class is solved. Now my job is to deliver proper knowledge and prepare them for their final examination.
         For my Form 4 class, I have tried so many techniques but nothing worked. I tried to be nice but they are making me like an idiot. If I'm being stern, they will only follow my instruction for a while. And they will start again their "unchangeable" attitude. I have talked to my teacher and she advised me to be stern at the same time try to be nice. Because boys if the teacher says anything they still will consider it. But girls they will keep it into their heart and will revenge back. Oh My God!!!!! Until now I could not handle my Form 4 class. Always at least 7 students will be absent in a day. Just imagine that, what kind of students I have to deal with. My problem with this class is still not solved yet.
          I am hoping if anyone can give me new strategic to handle this class. I think that's all for now.. We will meet again on week 6 to share our experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment